Sunday, January 30, 2011

My box of Farm Fresh Delights

 I have a new monthly service, of organic fresh foods delivered to my door. It's from Farm Fresh To You.  I had been checking around to see other services, and most of them had pick ups at the farmers market, or a whole foods store etc.  This I happened upon by being home at the right time, and answering my my door for a young lady who was walking the neighborhood.  It was completely by chance since I usually don't open my door for people with clip boards.  She explained that they delivered, and that I could go online and change the box size, mark items that I did not want to receive etc.  This sounded good to me. I'm trying to eat more healthy, locally, organic, and in season, this would complete all of my objectives. 

This week's Medium box included:

4 Fuji Apples
3 Anjou Pears
2lbs Minneola Tangelos
1 Bunch red Chard
1 head Green Savoy Cabbage
.5lb Trumpet Mushrooms
1 Bunch Carrots
1 head butter lettuce
1 lb yellow onion
1 lb red onion


The really good news, besides the fact that these were delivered and organic, was that they included two recipes that I will be using for some of the items I have never cooked or eaten before.

One for the red chard, and one to include the Trumpet Mushrooms.  I've taken a look at the rest of the ingredient list and those are flavors I enjoy, so I will use those recipes rather than look for some through Cooking Light.  I will have to plan something to use the cabbage with though, so that will take some thought.

I have decided not to make any changes to my boxes until I have tried all the new things that they will be sending out.  If after I try it, I don't like it then I will mark it as something I do not want.  But I am trying to add variety into my meals and into our diets.

I have planned to post the recipes and the pictures of them after I have made and eaten these new vegetables.  I will try to be honest, and open about the new things that I try.  But for now I'll just have to let you know that the tangelos were very good.  So, now I just need to get over this cold/flu thing and get my exercise routine going again.

By the way, if you choose to sign up with this company, please let them know that Dawn Black referred you. For the rest of you who are not in this region, there are other farms across the country and I'm sure that you can find some that will deliver to your home or office as well.  I'm all for trying new things, I hope that you are as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...