Friday, December 30, 2011

Barley Stuffed Cabbage rolls - fail

Cooking Light: Barley Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Randy Mayor; Melanie J. Clarke

So, I tried this with the cabbage that I got in my Farm Fresh to You box, and my crock pot/slow cooker.  All of these ingredients are good for you stuff, pine nuts, barley, cabbage etc.  I was kind of excited, and the first night it was okay, a bit heavy on the vinegar flavor....okay my hubby did not like it even on the first night. The second day, I'm not sure how but the vinegar flavor increased and it was overwhelming for me.  I will not be making this recipe with that sauce ever again.  If I make the cabbage rolls with that filler, there will be a very different sauce to go with them.
Healthy as these might be, I did not like them and will not be making them with any form of tomato vinaigrette type sauce ever.

I used their photo because I did not get one of mine, and mine were not so pretty either.

4 comments:

  1. Well its nice that they were kinda a half fail... ;) Maybe a pine-nut or pesto sauce would be good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that they did not turn out as expected. I just wanted to share how I make my sauce...My Cabbage Rolls sauce is
    1 large can of tomato sauce,
    3 cans of diced tomatoes,
    4 teaspoons lemon juice,
    1/2 cup brown Sugar,
    1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
    Bring sauce to a boil on stove and pour it on the cabbage rolls and then bake them. It is really yummy. If you ever try it I would love to know your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Teena - You're sauce sounds much better than the vinegar explosion I had. I'm just worried now that any form of red sauce will be denied by my husband and I will be left eating these the whole week by myself. Maybe if I keep it separate and just try it over one?
    I will let you know when I try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope that you all like it. It is one of my favorites. I agree with you that you should taste it first before your hubby tries it. Vinegar is very strong and overpowering. Or give him a spoonful to try out first. I did that with chilli, I made it years ago and used the chilli powder and it tasted awful.. It is only recently with-in the last few years we eat it again, I changed the way I learned how to make it and no more chilli powder I now use taco powder and changed the plain tomatoes to chilli tomatoes also I now use chilli style beans and those slight changes in my chilli made all the difference. And recently we have enjoyed chilli cheese fries for the first time so that was a nice treat. I look forward to hearing what you think of my sauce I hope it works out for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...