Sunday, December 5, 2010

I love Nutella, have I mentioned that before?

I happen to love Nutella I found this love when I went to India and Mrs. Huldah Buntain brought some back, from one of her speaking engagements, for us to try.  There and then I began searching for this treat when I returned to the states.

Myself, Doreen, and Auntie Buntain - The gentleman in gold was throwing a 16th birthday party for his son

Myself, Mrs Higgins, and Huldah Buntain - My 19th Birthday dinner


Now my life has changed a bit, and my foods list is changed as well, and Nutella does not really fit in well.  I was browsing through Lexie's Kitchen, The Spunky Coconut, and Elana's Pantry and I can not remember who it was that mentioned Justin's Nut Butter as being a more healthy alternative.  I had been looking around, but it's not easy to find and Whole Foods is a bit of a drive for me.  I then remembered that Futter's Nut Butter sold chocolate nut butters as well as their regular nut mixes.  Futter's does not add anything but the nuts and the chocolate, no additional oil or sugars or preservatives, their products need to be refrigerated.  Now, I ordered the Chocolate Hazelnut Butter I happen to really like this nut butter, but it is not easy to spread, and you will not confuse it with Nutella I did get the Justin's Nut Butter recently, and I love it as well. It spreads easy, and is shelf stable, so there are some extra ingredients in it.  You will not confuse it with Nutella either as it is not as creamy and smooth, or as sugary sweet, but it is good.  If you have children who have texture issues, be warned that Justin's is a bit gritty.  The Futter's Nut Butter is a bit gritty as well, once you get it warmed enough to spread on your bread.

I was then so excited to see InCyst post a link for a recipe as well. 


Homemade Nutella Recipe

Here is a recipe from Lexie's Kitchen and how she uses the Justin's Nut Butter on brownies.  There are just so many possibilities.
Lexie's Kitchen Hazelnut-brownies (gluten, egg, and grain free)

You never know how or where you will find treasures, and you never know when you will want or need to find alternatives for your treasures.  I know that these things in moderation are fine, but some days moderation is just a ridiculous notion.  Rather than set myself up for failure, I would prefer to find things that help me indulge without over doing it.  I know that some of your kids have already become fans of Nutella, and that texture issues make it impossible to switch it on them now, but for those of you who have not gone down that path, it is much easier to start them on something a bit more healthy.  I enjoyed a whole wheat tortilla with the Futters chocolate almond spread tonight, and it was delightful.  Hot tea, chocolate, and a movie with my hubby, these things bring that deep sigh and help me relax during these stressful moments before Christmas.  Find the things that help you unwind, and don't send you into a tail spin, and just enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...