Monday, March 19, 2012

Books, Denial and Grief

I've been reading Wicked....


It's not your child's fairy tale.  It's the Grimm's version, and it's not light reading either.  Let me explain, if you had a difficult time seeing the symbolism in the movie Pleasantville then this movie is not for you. If you had trouble seeing the symbolism in the Old Man in the Sea, this book is probably not for you.  The play evidently is lighthearted, and fun I've never seen it so I can't say for any certainty how it is portrayed, but the book is not like the play.  It's the dark version of Sleeping Beauty, the one that has Sleeping Beauty raped while asleep, and not the lighter Grimm's version which was even altered more in the Disney version.
This book is good though, even with all the more mature themes going on, but I would suggest you reading it before suggesting it your young teens. 

This book and the readers thoughts on it have made me think about our expectations in general.  Lately my expectations have been challenged significantly.  Not in the way that I thought I would marry a prince and live happily ever after. But in that I still thought youth meant you still had a fair amount of health, clearly not the case.  I've know this, in my head, for ever.  I've seen children born sick, but now to many things have hit home for me to hang onto any form of happy delusion any longer.  Silent sicknesses have struck out family, babies have been born sick, and friends have died young. Others have been given horrible news, and we are now just praying for a miracle of healing.

This story is not like reading about pretty sparkly vampires, it's the dirty side of Oz. Gritty grimy and less dreamlike, and sing songy. 
Today, I think that's what I need.  Something out of this world, but still enough like it for me to relate to.

InCyst has begun to write blogs about the grief process in relation to PCOS.  This seems to have hit me at the right time, as i am headed back through the grief cycle once more. Although today it's about the denial stage.


So here's my little thought of the day.  Look up, find your faith, and see the beauty.  Life is not a fairy tale, but God is good, and life is short.  Enjoy the moment.
Looking up

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...