Friday, July 29, 2011

Being heard, and what's in the news about PCOS?

I was recently having a discussion that went uninterrupted where I got to explain PCOS and some of what it has caused. It was a refreshing conversation where I was listened to and not cut off.  This has not been the norm in my family and friend circle.  If it is a bit complicated or you explain that you need to eat a certain way, they shut you out and just say it's only calories that matter for weight loss.  Like weight loss is the only reason to eat healthy, you know who cares about your arteries or blood pressure, insulin spikes, or health in general.  If you can eat fried chicken, shakes, fires, and chips without gaining weight then you are fine. This is not my philosophy at all. So far PCOS is only brought up when I am eating and people are curious to know why I choose what I do, and stay away from other things, you know the healthy potatoes and corn and other starchy veggies. Our current house guest seems pretty uncomfortable with my cooking heart healthy meals all the time.  In fact he's been willing to spring for pizza twice now, and not on Friday nights which I would normally suspect a bit more a splurge on the type of food that we eat.  Oh, and the uninterrupted conversation was not with my house guest, just to make that clear.  I say all of this knowing that there are those of you out there who have very similar experiences, and I feel you should know that you are not alone.  

Remember when the world rested on the back of a turtle? Me either.

 It seems that every time people learn something new, the general population clings onto what has always been taught, for example the world was once considered flat, and Columbus has a very difficult time with people when he tried to tell them anything different. So now there are a few radical people out there suggesting that not all metabolisms are made equal, and that people may actually process food differently. I know, this may seem like heresy but think about it for a minute.  

We now know that people have different blood types, early on that was not common knowledge.  And now maybe we are starting to learn that not everyone processes food the same, and those with food allergies can offer up a hearty here here!  But even people without obvious food allergies, maybe even divided by blood types, we are not all the same.  I know that there is not tons of research done on all of this, and maybe there is more to it than blood type, or having type A or Type B metabolism as discussed by Diane Kress author of the Metabolism Miracle, but there does seem to be something out there that resonates with people that says, "you are all not the same, and not everything that works for one person will be good for another".   

I'm not an advocate like Hannah wept, Sarah Laughed, or a spokes person of any sort but I am decidedly for sharing information. I think that learning and growth are important for people as a whole.  If this is something that does not affect you, it is still something to learn about, it affects those around you and maybe someone close to you than you might know right now.

Today I thought I would just share some of the news articles out there regarding PCOS, yes there are more, these are just some of them.  If you have never heard of PCOS, maybe a small step would be to find out a bit about it, otherwise it's good to keep up with the new things being said and learned. Oh, and each of the PCOS links provided go to a different site, so you can see multiple descriptions and how it gets diagnosed.

PCOS and Insulin Resistance in the News


PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)


Insulin Resistance

For more Check out this link: PCOS and Insulin Resistance in the News

Books (I only have the first one):
The PCOS Diet Plan: A Natural Approach to Health for Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
A Patient's Guide to PCOS: Understanding--and Reversing--Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
The PCOS Workbook: Your Guide to Complete Physical and Emotional Health
The Ultimate PCOS Handbook: Lose Weight, Boost Fertility, Clear Skin and Restore Self-Esteem
What Nurses Know ... PCOS
The Low GI Guide to Living Well with PCOS (New Glucose Revolutions)
PCOS and Your Fertility

2 comments:

  1. As one of the people eating by blood type I have been surprised that no one has bothered me about my eating choices.
    Sometimes they forget - 0nly one member of the family has given me any grief I am sure you can think of who - his wife immediately yelled at him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I'm glad she yelled. I think people should stop and think twice about why they want to freak out over your food choices, you are eating healthy, just different.
    I'm glad eating for your blood type has been working for you. I bought chicken again, so I think I'll be waiting a bit to start it up myself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...