Thursday, July 29, 2010

Eliminating Plastic from my life

What to do without plastic? How will I store my left over’s? How will I take things to parties? And why should I care to change?

These are some very good questions. I’m sure that you’ve all heard the talk about BPA, both hype for fear and the down-play of BPA’s affects.
Here are some links to look at in your research to learn more about the subject.
Incyst Part One: BPA PCOS What to do?
Incyst Part Two: BPA PCOS What to do?
Incyst Part Three: BPA PCOS What to do?

My primary concern is not brain development, but it’s affect on my hormones. For those who are not planning families and are not in the major brain development cycle of life, maybe the affects of BPA are not a primary concern of yours, and that makes sense. Ease and convenience will be a huge factor in your decision making. These also affect mine, but I’ve decided to look for ways to make the transition work for me in the most easy and convenient way possible.

I’m a creature of habit, and habits have been hard for me to break. So, this task was taken with a fervor, but in the understanding that I would have to commit to it. I know, fervor and commitment in the same sentence? Who are you kidding? Tupperware and Rubbermaid are an part of everyday life, storing leftovers to save money and time preparing meals throughout the week. How do you replace such an integral part of life?

Slowly, and one step at a time was what I found to be most effective, along with throwing out a piece of plastic every time I purchased a glass replacement. This tossing out of the old really helps in sticking with the commitment. I only have three pieces left, hiding under our food storage, because I’m going to be giving them away to a friend. I have not used them in over a year, they are difficult to get to and I have pieces to replace them.

 I do have one thing that I have not swapped out, my Brita water pitcher. But I did swap it for the water trucked in by our company, we ran out the other week and I brought it my pitcher, so I could filter the tap water. I have not been drinking the other bottled water since. I’m not sure about the levels of BPA in their product, but my water at home is filtered through our fridge directly so there is no storage of water in containers, until I fill up my water bottles.













I have found that the Pampered chef prep bowls work wonderfully for taking food to work.













I have also love the Arc bowls, but I have not found them online yet. This is the closest I have found to what I actually purchased at Costco.











I have also found some glass through Crate and Barrell.  These have proven invaluable to me as I make the transition to glass storage rather than plastic.  For any of you who are thinking of making the transition, but have little kids, I would find other bamboo alternatives for things they can play with and toss around.  I will also begin looking to see what other non-breakables are out there that are BPA free for when I need to child proof some of my everyday food things as well.

5 comments:

  1. Here is another valuable link to look into on the subject of BPA and other toxins we have been ingesting.
    http://draimee.org/the-bpa-study-released-today-what-you-should-know/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures didn't load! Miss you love you and good luck with the whole plastic free living! I may start this after we move and get settled but I am not going to be so quick about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for fixing they work now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have possibly one, maybe two moves left in our future so I'm wary of glass at the moment.
    If you can find those unbreakable glass please let me know. I need more storage containers at the moment so this would be a great time to get some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, unbreakable would be nice. I've been blessed so far to have all of my things survive each of our moves thus far. These have been tough though, I've dropped them multiple times and they have lived through it, I think having linoleum on the floor helps instead of tile.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...