Friday, September 24, 2010

A little rant about friends, food, and health issues

Taken at a friends baby shower - many good friends and some strangers, picture is not specific to particular friends


I must have been raised different, or Utah is far more different that California as far as consideration goes, or I don't know what the reason is.  Here is what I have noticed though.  There are those in our lives that wear the friend hat, and those who kind of pick up the friend hat at times, and set it down on other occasions.  I prefer to be in the company of those who just live it, they wear the hat even when it's goofy, or it doesn't go with their outfit, or it's just plain old.

There are times when being a friend is inconvenient, when we were all younger and possibly single, but definitely staying up later partying or clubbing, or just out for whatever the reason, we knew who to call if we needed help at 2am.  Those were the real friends, they could call us, we could call them.  Now fast forward a few years, you have jobs that are more demanding, pets, possibly kids, and some new health issues.  There is the ever increasing Diabetes, Pre-Diabetes, Insulin Resistance, Thyroid issues, etc.  Now you have to make changes to your diet and exercise routines, and those about you may or may not have to make adjustments as well.   Who are your friends now? How do they behave?  Do they get all bent out of shape if you bring food you can eat to a party? Or are they glad that you came and joined in the festivities?

I began this post a long time ago, when I was in a much more angry mood.  I'm still frustrated, but as I st here sipping my vanilla almond tea I think more and more about the friends I have learned so much about.  I know that there is one here who will embrace my new path to health, and if I make changes and adjust on that path I will be supported.  I have another friend who will understand and not judge, she will not necessarily join in, but she will not be offended if I have to bring food for myself.  The others? well, they have their own issues to deal with. I don't know if their children will have allergies, or their friends will have celiac, or  asbergers or autism, but I do know that one day they will come to a place where they will be asked to change their lifestyle for whatever reason and it will be difficult on them.  I wish they could see it now, that the decisions we make will either send us to the hospital now or later.  I have chosen to eat better and exercise and make these changes now before the Dr tells me it's life threatening and that I have to be put on medication.  It would be good to have more people surrounding me who felt the same, but those who do are counted as the best of friends.

Tea is soothing, it always has been. I'm glad I stopped by the market tonight and picked some up after my walk.  Now to hope that all of what I have picked up will help with the cramps.  Yep, they are beginning again, the pins and needles in my abdomen.  The cramps that clench my gut into a knot and make me scream and pray for an easy death.  Hmmm....I'm hoping that in all of this new healthiness, that it will result in less pain and the better possibility of fertility.  I miss my mom, and my friends back home.  Well, there you have it, my rant about friends, and life, and why I'm doing what I am.

If you are interested in the vanilla tea here is a picture and the link
Keep taking steps towards health, do not give up from small set backs, and do not let the negativity of others hold you back.  These are the things I'm learning, and I would like to give to others.

3 comments:

  1. preach it girl!

    P.S.
    that tea sounds wonderful. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that in a world of acceptance and knowledge that you have not found that same acceptance for trying to be healthy and still support your friends.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would seem that support is lacking here. It would be nice to have a host and hostess at least be understanding when I bring my own meal, but not everyone is so understanding I suppose. Maybe in working in the nursery and with the kids with severe allergies, we just learned how to accommodate people at a young age. I'm wearing them down though, one day they will not be offended and just happy that we can all celebrate and hang out together even if someone has to bring their own meal in order to join. Although I would plan to at least make one dish that they could also enjoy. One day it will happen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...