Friday, May 6, 2011

The plan..and yet things change


Menu plan

Black Bean Burrito Bake is on the right

Savory Sweet Potato Casserole

Monday:
Black Bean Burrito Bake
Savory Sweet Potato Casserole


Chicken, Cashew and Pepper Stir Fry
Grated Turnip and Apple Salad

Tuesday:
Chicken, Cashew and Pepper Stir Fry
Grated Turnip and Apple Salad

Wednesday: (We went out to Spaghetti Factory instead)


Vegan Lasagna

Thursday: (We were invited to dinner at mom's house and had pork and beans, it was delicious)
Leftovers

Friday:
Blackened Cumin-Cayenne Tilapia

Saturday:
Coconut Pancakes
Chicken Tamale Casserole


So, there is my list of plans and the things that come up.  We had a great week, and had a wonderful time. I will now have to make the lasagna next since those ingredients will go bad first.  I have had lots of left overs, and am so excited to try this meal planning thing again.


So, let me tell you about the new veggie that I tried this week....are you ready? It's very exciting, I was a bit freaked out....okay, okay it was turnips.  For those of you who already eat these veggies, I'm sorry they were a bit freaky and scary to me.  Let me explain, my family ate veggies, but not a huge variety, and we did not deviate from the grouping that we normally ate from.    Peas were shoved down our throats like they were the best and most important vegetable in the world, corn was a fan favorite, salad, cucumbers, broccoli, carrots to name the favorites.  These are what we had as staples, and now I'm trying new things that others have been eating for centuries.  I feel left out, and a bit behind, but also branching out is ind of scary.  The salad was fine, the turnips are bland, and mild in flavor.  I was almost disappointed since I expected something more dramatic. I was reading an article, which I having great difficulty locating again, and it mentioned swapping out turnips for potatoes in pot roast dinners as a way of increasing less starchy vegetables.  I found the article, it was in the Livestrong news letter that I got, I get a few of these sent to me.  This article was called, "What's the best trick to lose weight fast"  in it, there is another link to “The 7 Healthiest Meals Ever Created” a little cookbook you may enjoy. I'm considering trying the banana almond pancakes, but that is a different matter altogether.  Here is the part that stuck out in my mind:

"Stir-fry and Curry: Instead of using rice, serve over steamed broccoli florets Pot roast: Sub out the potatoes for turnips. Cut the turnips into cubs, season them with your favorite flavor and roast them just like potatoes. Pasta: Substitute for spaghetti squash, which can be cooked in the microwave in the same time it takes to cook pasta on your stove top. “When cooked, spaghetti squash forms pasta-like consistency that is almost identical to traditional pasta, but with a fraction of the calories,” says Rousssell."

Well there you have it, my first experience with turnips, rather anti-climatic but it was worth trying again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...