Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Thin Man, and the newest development

The Thin Man goes Home
Nora Charles: Pretty girl.
Nick Charles: Yes. She's a very nice type.
Nora Charles: You got types?
Nick Charles: Only you, darling. Lanky brunettes with wicked jaws.

To watch two different trailers click here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025878/

If you know me at all, you know of my love of old movies.  One of my all time favorites is the Thin Man series.  It did not start out to be a series, but it gained a following and the main characters were just to fabulous to let go of. He is a retired sleuth, and she is a wealthy socialite who loves to get in on the action.  He is rather reluctant to take on these cases but he always finds the solution.

A favorite scene of mine, Nora begins to wonder if she could kill her husband, and he slowly removes the knife from her hands.
Of course this scene is another midnight thinking session, and she is putting herself in the mind of the woman accused.  See how she is cutting the bread, it's before the pre-sliced revolution.  You know the saying, it's better than sliced bread! It's before that phrase came about.  I'm so enamored with their interactions.  

Nora, Asta, and Nick Charles
Nora Charles: Pretty girl.
Nick Charles: Yes. She's a very nice type.
Nora Charles: You got types?
Nick Charles: Only you, darling. Lanky brunettes with wicked jaws.

Myrna Loy and William Powell
Nick Charles: How'd you like Grant's tomb?
Nora Charles: It's lovely. I'm having a copy made for you.

 To see more on the screen play:

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1336214809/

Here is the really awesome news, for those who like new movies. Johnny Depp, another of my favorite actors, is going to be in the new remake Thin Man Series!!! I am very excited to see how this unfolds, I think he will pull the character off very well.  But the leading lady needs to be refined, sassy, and flirtatious in such a way that really shows off their chemistry.  I love their interactions, and the way she tries to stifle back the giggles from some of the scenes, she is a fantastic actress portraying a great wife.  I don't talk abut marriage much, but if mine could be so flirty and fun all the time it would be perfect.  There was another film who paid tribute to Nick Charles as a character, can you guess?  It was an animated flick, still need more hints?  Hoodwinked, have you seen it?  Mr Flippers, the sleuth of that little flick has some similar characteristics of the Nick Charles character, sans alcohol.

The Thin Man, actually refers to the man missing, and not the sleuth Nick Charles


Okay I had to, I've included some of the memorable lines, just in case.

Nora Charles: [to Asta, as Nick and Asta are going out on a case] If you let anything happen to him, you'll never wag that tail again. 

___
Nora Charles: [suffering from a hang-over] What hit me?
Nick Charles: The last martini.

 ___
[Nick has revived Nora after knocking her out to keep her from being accidentally shot by Joe Morelli]
Nora Charles: You darn fool! You didn't have to knock me out. I knew you'd take him, but I wanted to see you do it.
Lieutenant John Guild: [laughs] There's a girl with hair on her chest.

___
Nora Charles: How many drinks have you had?
Nick Charles: This will make six Martinis.
Nora Charles: [to the waiter] All right. Will you bring me five more Martinis, Leo? Line them right up here.

___
Nick Charles: Now my friends, if I may propose a little toast. Let us eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
Nora Charles: You give such charming parties, Mr. Charles.
Nick Charles: Thank you, Mrs. Charles.

___
Nora Charles: Nick? Nicky?
Nick Charles: What?
Nora Charles: You asleep?
Nick Charles: Yes!
Nora Charles: Good. I want to talk to you.

___
Nora Charles: Take care of yourself
Nick Charles: Why, sure I will.
Nora Charles: Don't say it like that! Say it as if you meant it!
Nick Charles: Well, I do believe the little woman cares.
Nora Charles: I don't care! It's just that I'm used to you, that's all.


Okay, okay I'm done with the quotes, I could go on, but you should just watch the films so you hear how they lines are delivered.  Just to let you know, I'm not usually a fan of re-makes, but I'm hopeful for this one.  Irregardless I will remain an unabashed fan of this series.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the series and the man who bought me the complete set on DVD!
    I still can't believe that they filmed the first movie in 30 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A commenter on the re-makes suggested that Rachel Weisz was being looked at for the part of Nora, and I think she would be a good choice.

    http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/david-koepp-takes-on-the-thin-man-for-johnny-depp-and-rob-marshall/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...