Saturday, October 9, 2010

Cauliflower Pizza Crust - PCOS friendly





 Cauliflower Pizza Crust
  • 1/4 of a head of cauliflower, steamed until fork-tender, then chopped fine (you can also use the fake rice method); you'll need a yield of 1 cup of loosely packed, finely chopped/grated cauliflower
  • 1/2 cup low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  • Salt, to taste
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Spread onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper* (you could also grease the pan with olive oil or butter if you're averse to cooking spray). Use a spatula to form the mixture into a circle. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until edges are nice and crispy (and I mean nice and crispy - they'll be very brown, almost burned). Remove from the oven and flip putting the crust on another sheet of parchment and cook another 5-10 min. Remove from oven top with your favorite toppings*; change the oven from bake to broil. Broil the toppings until cooked through and the cheese is melted.
My crust with pesto thrown on top

 I added Turkey bacon, tomato, mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese
Added the rest of my toppings
 After adding the toppings, put it bake into the oven to broil until cooked and the cheese is melted.

After broiling and cutting into slices

The finished pizza
I found this little gem on Fare to Remember's site, and I have tried other dishes of hers and loved them. She has more fabulous pictures, and two other pizza toppings. I used what I had on hand, and will try other versions later, especially when I have tomato and basil together.  I did not use pizza sauce since those typically have more sugar and carbs than I need in my diet, and pesto is just delicious as well as much, lower in carbs.
Now, to be fair, I did not make my husband try this.  He got a whole wheat Bobali crust pizza, with the pizza sauce, pepperoni and mushrooms, covered with the pizza cheese mix.
He gets nervous when I make things that appear to be to healthy.  One day he will try it, but not this time around. Fare to Remember had other who tried it and liked it, her guests were proof enough for me to try it, and I liked it enough to offer it to guests along with the regular pizza version as well.  Since you will have three fours of a cauliflower left, I would try the fake rice, roasted, and the mashed cauliflower as well.

*I changed this step after trying the parchment paper 2/11, this helps the crust release easily, and allow you to flip the crust assuring that it will bake through the middle.

4 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds yummy! I wish you would give stronger taste descriptions so I could know more of your own likes and dislikes

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm I'm not sure how to describe the taste, it's mozzarella and cauliflower. You don't taste cauliflower, it has the mozzarella taste. It's the texture that was really surprising. It was kind of like a dough, crunchy on the edges but it was not a flavor on it's own. I tasted the pesto and the toppings, which were delicious, and the crust was much more of a texture than a flavor note. I will work on describing the flavor more in future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have parchment paper, cook on it, not waxed or foil, parchment. It lifts off like a dream!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...