Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Coconut Bread




Coconut Bread
Ingredients
¾ cup sifted Organic Coconut Flour
½ cup Organic Virgin Coconut Oil melted
6 eggs
2 tablespoons honey or agave
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
Method
Blend together eggs, butter, honey and salt. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and whisk thoroughly into batter until there are no lumps. Pour into greased 9x5x3 inch or smaller loaf pan and bake at 350F for 40 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack.
 
 
  
 Here is the recipe as I made it, with the exception of the honey, I did use agave.  I used the Lean Cuisine meal planner to figure out these stats.

Recipe

Coconut Bread
Author: Samantha N  

Ingredients:
12 Tbsp Coconut flour sifted
8 Tbsp Brummel & Brown butter with natural yogurt melted
3 large Egg, raw
3 large Egg White, raw
2 tbsp Honey
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder, double-acting

Cooking Directions:
Blend together eggs, butter, honey and salt. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and whisk thoroughly into batter until there are no lumps. Pour into greased 9x5x3 inch or smaller loaf pan and bake at 350F for 40 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack.

Recipe Facts

10.0
15 minute(s)
40 minute(s)
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 Slice (170g)
Amount Per Serving
112.2
56.3
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6.4g 10%
  Saturated Fat 2.3g 11%
Cholesterol 63.5mg 21%
Sodium 262.2mg 11%
Total Carb 9.8g 3%
  Dietary Fiber 3.6g 14%
  Sugars 3.6g
Protein 4.2g 8%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your caloric needs.

Ms. Samantha who presented me with the recipe made the bread with 1 Tbsp of agave to keep the bread very low on the GI scale, and she like it just fine.
I thought I would make it with the 2 tablespoons just to see what the stats would look like with it.
The bread is great. I would caution against eating the bread too soon when it comes out of the oven.  I ate a bit, and it made my throat itch, but my second little slice was cooler and it was perfect.


My bread was rather flat, I need to find a smaller baking dish, and it will help give it some height. It is a dense bread, but not like a quick bread.  It is still lighter than quick breads.  There is no overwhelming coconut flavor, and it tastes great with butter. 


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so welcome! Thank you for bringing it to my attention. It is already getting noticed over in PCOS Challenge. There are links here to take you strait to websites to purchase coconut flour, but it is also available at Whole Foods Markets and Henry's out here in Cali. I do believe that Whole Foods is nationwide, although I'm not sure how many locations they actually have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks amazing! I especially like that its gluten free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been noticing how much better I feel when I eliminate wheat and limit my dairy. So I'm thinking gluten free is a good way to go for me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...