Friday, October 22, 2010

Chocolate Fudge Brownies



Chocolate Fudge Brownies

Yields 24 bars

1 Cup Butter
2 Cups Brown Sugar
8 1/2 oz Bittersweet Chocolate
2 Tbsp Brown Rice Syrup
4 Eggs
2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
4 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Heavy Cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and dust an 11x8 pan with coconut oil and cocoa powder.

Place butter, sugar, chocolate, and brown rice syrup in a medium sized pot and melt on low heat, stirring until everything is well blended and smooth. Sift in the cocoa powder, Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Beat the eggs and vanilla extract together with an electric mixer until frothy.  Then on low speed, mix in cooled chocolate mixture and sugar. Next, add in the flour, heavy cream, baking powder, beating mixture after each addition.



Pour mixture into the prepared pan and bake the brownies in the preheated oven for 30 minute or until the top of the brownie is crisp and the edges begin to pull away from the pan. (The inside of the brownie will be dense and soft to the touch.)  Cool the brownies in the pan on a wire rack until cool. Dump the brownies out of the pan and cut into bars and serve.  Frost with chocolate or vanilla frosting if desired. Enjoy!


I forgot to take a picture before I frosted the brownies, sorry about that.  They were crisp on top, and they did not melt down to make a smooth surface.  These brownies are rich, and dry, The frosting makes them very sweet.  I added it to make sure my DH would try them.  He did, but they were to dry for his taste.  We like more of a gooey brownie, so the texture was not what I had hoped for.  But the flavor was delicious.  I will try these again with something added to increase the gooey factor, maybe apple sauce or a bit of coconut oil, another egg or something. 
I did break down and buy the brown rice syrup, it was about $6 at the store, and since it's supposed to be very low on the glycemic index and so I thought it would be good to have on hand and to try the recipe as created the first time.  Trying the syrup on it's own I found that it is not super sweet, but it did well in this recipe.  I liked it best with a full glass of cold unsweetened vanilla almond milk to accompany it.
I will be taking some to a friends house tomorrow, I will post the results after they taste it. 
In case you didn't notice, I did use to different gadgets for this recipe.  The Pampered Chef stoneware, and the Kitchenaid mixer I like being able to add ingredients while the mixer continues to work, the spill guard helps when adding dry ingredients as well, as they don't end up all over your counter, and you don't have to keep stopping and lifting the mixer to add more ingredients.  If you have a stand mixer of some sort, it will help you when adding in the flours since they do have more fiber and can clump if you do not keep mixing.  If you don't have a stand mixer, either ask a partner to mix while you add, or add in small amounts and beat well in between adding small portions.
If you try this and are able to make the brownies more gooey, please let me know how you accomplished this. I will post my results after I find the best option.
Happy baking, gluten free and lower glycemic (there is brown sugar in the recipe).

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...