Monday, October 11, 2010

Pharaoh's Daughter - Halloween costume

Pharaoh's Daughter - 9 years old
So here is the one costume I did have, for the Harvest Festival at Salt Lake Christian Center.  Things have changed over the years, but that was where my sister and I did get to dress up.

But before then, we had another type of celebration.  We had friends of ours come to the house and all of us kids played games, and had candy, and had a grand time.  The Crainers have been life long friends of ours, and their boys were like our brothers.  We grew up together in a different church, and were in plays together, got in trouble together and of course we teased them.  There was one of these occasions were the two oldest boys, my sister and I were picking on the then youngest boy about something or other, and he ran and hid in the closet.  Coaxing him out took most of the night.  This could have also been the night that we colored the wall in mine and my sisters room with crayons.  Our artistry knew no bounds, we moved the bed to make sure that we all had plenty of space to color.  It never completely washed off either, that was the beginning of wallpaper in our room.  I have never been a fan of wall paper, especially when removing it and repainting.

Now my sister used this costume later on, and she got a full shot of the outfit.  It seems that my mom was much more concerned about my eye makeup.  It was the first time I wore eye shadow, and it was caked on, and itchy.  I do not remember anything about the party, but I do remember my mom putting on the eyeshadow and how it felt.

My little sister as Pharaoh's Daughter - I'm not sure how old she was

So now that I'm an adult and you'd think we'd be over celebrating by dressing up, it seems that all of my employers here in Cali love to dress up for Halloween.
Here are some of my costumes, I'm still not great at coming up with costumes, so I'll explain them.

Cat Burglers - Accounts Receivable Department 
I went as Miss Marple, an Agatha Christie character, and yes, no one knew who she was so my costume was pointless

Well this year I might go as a window installer, or I will wear one of my Indian outfits - Salwar Komeez
I'm not a fan of dressing up for Halloween, and I'm not excited about having to do it for my work.  It's really frustrating when I can not explain it to my boss about my not believing in celebrating the holiday for Religious reasons when she shares the same religion, but views this holiday differently than I do.  Well here's to celebrating holidays in all the ways that people do.

1 comment:

  1. For those looking for ideas on how to make the Pharaohs Daughter costume, it was in two pieces. The Neck was separate and closed with velcro on the back. The dress was one long piece, I'm almost sure we just safety pinned in one us. That's how I got the full wrap around and my sister got the over the shoulder look. What I do remember is that one side of the long white material, not only had the gold border sewn on, but elastic as well, so it hugged us. My mom did plenty of clothing design, and I have none of her patterns to share, and she is no longer on earth to ask.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...