Saturday, October 23, 2010

Coconut Flour "tortillas"

adding the batter to the pan

mine came out more like crepes
Coconut Flour Tortillas recipe photo
Coconut Flour Tortillas
Photo by recipe author
Servings: 1 tortilla
Preparation Time: 2 minutes
Mix the coconut flour and baking powder with the water (or milk) and egg whites. Whisk or blend until all lumps disappear (I usually mix, then wait a couple of minutes and mix again).
Pour all the batter on a heated pan greased with coconut oil or butter (grease well). Pour batter in center of pan. Tilt the pan around to spread the batter into a large circle, almost covering the entire bottom of the pan.
Be very careful with this part: wait until the edges are brown on the side of the tortilla, or carefully circle spatula around the bottom of tortilla until safe to flip. Once safe, flip the tortilla and cook for about 30 seconds on the other side.
Fill with cream, berries, enchilada filling - anything you like!
These are thin and delicate. Use them for low-carb enchiladas, sandwich wraps, or anything you can think of!
* For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)
Recipe submitted by Brandon, Dallas TX

I had hoped that my "torillas" would look more like those in the picture from the Tropical Traditions website, but it just did not work out that way. I did use them for homemade enchiladas, but it seems I forgot to take a picture of them.  They were filled with chicken, cheese and re-fried black beans.  Covered with an enchilada sauce which was lower in carbs than I expected.  I'm hoping to show my versions to be more similar to that in the above photo, but for now here is what I ended up with.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really good, I found coconut flour at our local store but it was so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is expensive, that's why I got it through Tropical Traditions when they had a BOGO sale! Check on Amazon to see if there are other sales out there as well.
    The good news is, you use less coconut flour than traditional flour because of it's high fiber content, it soaks up moisture like crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...