Friday, October 22, 2010

Futters Nut Butter - a Natural Food swap



Let me explain, I love their nut butters!  I tired these when I was looking for natural unsweetened versions of nut spreads. I was given a list of good healthy nuts, and almonds and cashews were on that list.  This company does not do any peanut butters at all, so when they list their products they do not have to say anything about the product coming into contact with peanuts of any kind.  They are organic, kosher certified, gluten and dairy free. I loved the flavors of the Cashew and Almond butter, since I love almonds and cashews.  The cashew butter was more difficult to spread, but if you take it out of the fridge and let it soften a bit that will help with the spread-ability.  Now, there are flavors as well.  I'm so excited! Futters Nut Butter flavors
Now, I have a sweet tooth, it's true, and I'm trying to cope and reduce these cravings, so my love for Nutella needs to be tampered a bit.  I've read some blogs about others love for Justin's Nutbutter.  I personally have not tried their product, and it does look good, and probably a much better swap than what I've got going on right now.  But they list their ingredients in their chocolate almond butter Ingredients: Dry Roasted Almonds, Organic Evaporated Cane Sugar, Organic Cocoa Powder, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Palm Fruit Oil, Natural Vanilla, Sea Salt.
I'm seeing much better ingredients than those in the Nutella that I love, but the information for the Futters Nut Butters are: The only ingredients besides nuts or seeds are in the orange and cherry varieties, our new cinnful pecan and in our chocolates. The orange, cherry and strawberry have natural flavor oils and in some, we have bits of the fruit. In the chocolate varieties, there's our dark chocolate liquor (no alcohol- just cocoa & cocoa butter), and a slight bit of organic unrefined cane. No milk powders, No hydrogenated or other oils, No salt, No corn sweeteners etc. In the natural & organic chocolate varieties we use exciting dark chocolate liquors (cocoa & cocoa butter) from different areas.  So here I am in decision mode, should I make the change gradually, and move from Justin's to Futter's or just go all out?  Yes, I just shortened their names, like we are old friends who hang out and give each other nick names.  You know who I'm talking about here.




I'm thinking of picking up a jar of Justin's at the store here, and then talking my DH into letting me place an order for Futter's later.  I already know that I love their regular nut butters, but I may need a system of steps to get my cravings for the delicious Nutella to calm down and be replaced by a more natural product.
I will keep you all posted on how this works out for me.
How does all of this affect PCOS? As it happens, lowering my carb intake has helped me not to crave them even more, so that now I can have some in moderation and not have it wreck my whole day.  I'm ready to get back into eating intuitively again, and not have to worry that my sensors are broken when it comes to a full and empty stomach. 

What are some of your favorite swaps?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Too bad i just got my son addicted to nutella - its even one of his favorite words now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, at this point if you change it on him he might act like he did with the cheese. I'll try the Justin's version to see how close it is, but I did just order the Futter's version today. I like their nut butters.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...